Friday, January 7, 2011

Sick Day/Blog Hop


I'm sick....what a bummer! It started on Tuesday with just a sore throat and the sniffles and then it progressed from there. Now I just feel like one big ball of snot and as of yesterday i've completely lost my voice. I had a photo shoot planned for today that i'm going to have to reschedule, which stinks because we had some very interesting ideas planned. On a cuter note, as I was getting Snuggle Bug dressed for school I had to whisper to her since I don't have a voice. She decided that she needed to whisper back to me. She whispered to me up until the hubby told her it was time to go...cutest kid ever.

I suppose I'll take today to relax, do some reading for school since my classes start in a little over a week and just enjoy the quiet for a while. I'm no good at resting though. Instead I sit here and look around the house thinking about what I could be doing if I were well. Yeah, resting really isn't my thing.

So today I will leave you with one of my favorite sick day soups that always makes me feel a little better.


Ginger Chicken Soup (from a 2004 Real Simple Magazine)

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons ginger grated fresh ginger
2 32-ounce containers low-sodium chicken broth
2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 2- to 2 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup frozen peas
4 scallions, sliced
4 biscuits, store-bought or made from a mix (optional)

Directions
1.Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
2.Add the broth. Stir in the parsnips, carrots, celery, turnip, and ½ teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
3.Meanwhile, using a fork or your fingers, shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones. 4.Add the chicken, peas, and scallions to the saucepan and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with the biscuits, if using.

OH YEAH.....


Its blog hop time! I just LOVE blog hops! They give me the chance to find some awesome new blogs and gain some awesome new followers!


Smart and Trendy Moms bloghopbutton
and Hop Along Friday!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi there! Following you through It's Freakin' Friday ;)
    I think this has been the worst winter for colds - constant snot around this house. Ugh!

    adventuresinestrogen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I just wanted to thank you for linking up to It's Freakin' Friday!!

    Anestazia <3
    http://yourworkistodiscoveryourworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there.
    I'm stopping by via the Friday Hops to say hello.
    Have a great weekend!
    http://poshonabudget.com/2010/12/welcome-this-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI there! I'm your newest follower from the blog hop! Lovely blog:)
    You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup sounds amazing! I hope you get to feeling better soon!

    Stopping by from the Bee Friendly Friday Follow!
    I hope you'll come by my blog!
    http://livinghiptoday.com/blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting... I am now following and I look forward to reading more of your stuff.
    All the best,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete