Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mmmm, Apple Pie!



Grab yourself a slice of pie and come on in and sit and while. Isn’t pie such a welcoming food? Especially warm apple pie! Whenever I eat pie I always think of my nana who taught me how to make a pie from scratch. I remember her showing me how to mix and roll out the pie crust, make the filling and lay out the lattice (something to this day I can’t get to look as picture perfect as hers!); then we’d pop it in the oven and wait while her entire house began to smell like apple pie. It’s almost magical in its own way.


Last night I was cleaning out the fridge just trying to get it all organized since I had gone to the bulk warehouse to stock up on some stuff. As I was pulling out my bin full of fruits and veggies I found a bag of apples that I could tell would be headin’ south (going bad for those who don’t use that term, hehehe). I’m generally the queen of frugal living so I hate throwing out any food, much less large quantities of it. What was the first thing that popped into my head to make? Well, a yummy all American apple pie of course!

Old Fashioned Apple Pie

1 9 inch pie crust
½ cup unsalted butter
3tbs all-purpose flour
1/8 cup water
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon
Tablespoon vanilla
4 or 5 red delicious apples – peeled, cored and sliced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt the butter in a saucepan then stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.

Put the crust in your pie pan. Fill with apples, mounded. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the apples. Cover with a lattice work or top crust and brush the crust with egg whites. I also like to add a sprinkling of white sugar and cinnamon.

Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft and pie looks yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! That apple pie looks yummy. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete