Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spring? Where are you Spring??



Has anyone seen spring? Because I sure haven’t. I love spring. I love being able to get outside in the nice weather and plant things. Despite my black thumb I do enjoy basking in my attempts at not killing the most basic of plants.

It was such a lovely day yesterday. The sun was shining, I had the windows open; it was the kind of day that makes you wake up feeling positive. This morning is one of those mornings that you wake up; hear the rain the groan loudly while you pull the covers over your head begging for just 15 more minutes. We had originally planned a fun filled trip to the zoo but that obviously isn’t going to happen today because the equation of wet + cold + toddler does not equal a calm mommy. But the season has just started and that season pass will come in handy soon enough with many zoo pictures to follow. So what do you do on days like this? Cold, wet days when you and your kiddos are stuck inside. I always love new ideas.



Ooooh and I almost forgot to post a wonderful new recipe I tried out.




Unfortunately, I have no picture of the actual meal, because I was so excited to try it that I ate it all up before I realized I hadn’t taken a picture. Oops!

Cioppino

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon herbs de provence
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup clam juice
1 tomato, diced
1 cup chicken or fish stock
1 cup water
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
½ pound mussels, cleaned and debearded
½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ pound scallops
½ pound skinless halibut

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in large soup pot. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, herbs de provence, bay leaf and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste. Add clam juice, bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, chicken or fish stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar, salt and pepper.
Bring back soup base back to a boil. Add shrimp, scallops, mussels and halibut. Reduce heat and simmer, until everything is cooked, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with crusty Italian bread.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes Rain and cold with kids in tow doing anything Is never fun!
    I love rainy days But Not since having kids as they go stir crazy being bound up indoors.
    I normally whip out the popcorn maker ,dvd's ,coloring things and stickers and let them have fun doing that whilst I cringe at the mess.....lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, sorry to year your zoo trip was rained out. It rained here today too. It's hard with a little one. My children are getting older, so it's not so hard. I hope your day ended up being nice in spite of the rain!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete